Off the eastern shore of the Lake is Likoma Island: a little piece of Malawian
territory in Mozambican waters. Its history – the setting up here of the headquarters of the University Mission to Central Africa (Livingstone’s mission) in the 1880s – caused it to be retained by Malawi when the Lake was divided politically after World War II.
Likoma’s claim to fame is its cathedral (the size of Winchester’s) on which work began in 1903. This vast building has some most interesting features including stained glass and carved soapstone.
The island is otherwise somewhat barren although it has some pleasant beaches. Nearby is another tiny island, Chizumulu, also Malawian territory. Access to Likoma is currently by boat or charter aircraft. Accommodation on Likoma is limited but includes a new, very attractive, luxury beach lodge, Kaya Mawa.
LODGES ON LIKOMA ISLAND · SAFARIS IN MALAWI